The Optician must be able to work with our diverse base of customers (i.e. pediatric, adolescent and adult) by delivering quality optical care and outstanding and friendly customer service and establishing customer loyalty. The Optician must be able to assist patients with eyeglasses ordering and fittings, contact lens fitting classes and orders and other optical dispensing. The Optician must also possess strong sales skills by demonstrating a high level of knowledge about our products and determining our patient’s needs for eyewear to recommend specific accessories or enhancements for glasses.
- Interpretation of prescriptions written by ophthalmologists and optometrists
- Communicate with physician regarding questions or concerns about prescriptions and other eye-related issues
- Measure clients’ bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coating, and frames to suit client needs
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications
- Creating work orders for lab technicians to ensure delivery of the proper lenses
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames in order to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands
- Repairing broken/damaged frames
- Educating clients on proper wear and care of eyeglasses and contact lens
- Determine clients’ current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients’ eyeglasses
- Keeping track of orders, prescriptions, and inventory
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise
- Attend training workshops/meetings as scheduled
- Develop and implement training program for all new and current optical employees
- Travel to other locations as needed to provide optical coverage and/or training
- Coordinate optical staff development and scheduling with office / department managers
- Assist with optical pricing / contract negotiations
- Ensure that the organization is compliant with all applicable federal and state regulations related to optical operations
- Other duties as assigned
LICENSED DISPENSING OPTICIAN REQUIRED
Minimum Associates or equivalent and on-the-job training or post-secondary education
Two years Optician experience (preferred)
Prior retail sales or work in the healthcare industry (preferred)
Strong computer knowledge and skills with a minimum typing speed of 30 AWPM. Able to navigate multiple system applications.
Excellent customer service and sales skills required. Ability to interact with patients from all economic, educational, social, etc., backgrounds. Ability to treat all patients with respect and with an efficient and friendly manner. Smile and greet the patient. Ensure patient is satisfied. Listen, be responsive, and say thank you.
Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written in a manner conducive to the company’s goals and mission with a respectful demeanor towards patients, staff, management and doctors. And further be able to modify communication in accordance to patient’s age and developmental stage.
- TIME MANAGEMENT
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL
Ethan Rountree, Human Resources Manager
P: 229-244-2068 ext 1172