DIY Mask Options
For now, South Georgia | North Florida Eye Partners is asking patients to bring their own face mask or a cloth face-covering to wear in our office for the protection of your health. If you have an upcoming appointment and do not have access to a mask, no worries! We’ve found some helpful tips and tricks, from the Centers for Disease Control website, for making your own mask at home with materials found around your house – no sewing involved!
T-shirt No Sew Method
- Find an old t-shirt and cut the bottom 7 to 8 inches off of the shirt
- Taking the piece you cut off, cut two slits about 6-7 inches toward the center of the material; connect the two slits (these will now look like straps)
- Now, cut the end of your two straps to create two sets of strings
- Use the two sets of strings to tie around your neck and over the top of your head.
Bandana/Scarf No Sew Method
- Fold your bandana in half. (include a coffee filter for added protection)
- Fold again, bringing your top half down and the bottom half up.
- Place rubber bands or hair ties about six inches apart.
- Fold each side to the middle and tuck
If you have access to sewing equipment and would like to sew a mask, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) has a step-by-step tutorial that includes measurements and all! Find more information on their website.
Source: Centers for Disease Control